Music therapy has been proven to improve memory and recognition in dementia patients. And countless studies have been conducted to show the correlation between music and pain relief. Now researchers in London have compiled all the research related to music and pain to show the healing benefits of music for patients recovering from surgery. These new findings can be especially beneficial for seniors since an estimated 15 million surgeries are performed on seniors each year. The studies found:
• Patients listening to music post-surgery used significantly less pain medication.
• Listening to music helped surgery patients drop two notches on the 10-point pain scale.
• Music eased anxiety before and after surgery and helped improve patient satisfaction.
• It didn’t matter what kind of music the patients listened to, the results were the same.
• Studies have also shown that surgeons who listen to music during operations found it easier to close wounds.