Skip to content

VA Benefits

Millions of Veterans and their Spouses qualify for this Long Term Care Benefit, and Don’t Know It!

The VA Aid & Attendance benefit is a non-service benefit, meaning that the need for care does not have to be directly related to the veteran’s military service. For veterans, and their spouses, that served during an eligible war-time period (listed below), this benefit is a reimbursement for care that has already been provided.

What Does it Cover?

This benefit covers costs associated with regular assistance to veterans, or their spouses, with activities of daily living, such as eating, bathing, dressing, cooking, and medication management. This in-home care helps veterans and their spouses age at home safely and comfortably.

Elder Veterans Legal Aid Group

Elder Veterans Legal Aid Group can help you thoroughly understand your entitlement and benefit rights and help you obtain this vital assistance as quickly and professionally as possible. Their staff has a combined total of over 25 years assisting veterans and over 85,000 successful claims awarded. Our sole mission is to help elderly veterans and their family members obtain the financial assistance to live safely with dignity and peace of mind.

The VA Aid and Attendance benefit is also referred to by names such as: “improved pension,” “VA assisted living benefit,” or “veterans elder care benefits.”

How We Help:

Caregivers by WholeCare appreciate our veterans and want to help them get this important benefit! The Veterans Aid & Attendance paperwork can be complicated, but you can CALL us today and we will provide you and your family with FREE guidance by phone or email on completing your application for VA Aid & Attendance in Middle Tennessee area. If you or the person filing the paperwork needs more thorough, one-on-one guidance, accommodations can be arranged, just ask!

Eligibility Questions:

Questions to ask if you are interested in seeing if you or a loved one is eligible for the VA Aid and Attendance benefit:

Has your physician said you or a family member has a medical need for in-home care?
Did you serve during a war-time period (see list below)?
Are you a spouse or surviving spouse of a veteran?
Do you need help paying for care?


Service Requirements: A minimum of 90 days of active duty; at least one day during a conflict; honorably discharged, surviving spouse (widow) cannot have been separated by divorce. If remarried, the last spouse needs to be the veteran.

Medical need: the physician must fill out a form stating the claimant has a medical disorder that requires the claimant to reside in an assisted living facility or to have in-home care. The more the physician says the claimant needs assistance with activities of daily living, the more the pension can be increased to the maximum amount. The caregiver(s) has to be providing the care the physician says the claimant needs.

Financial need: in order to receive the maximum benefit, the cost of care must be at least 5% over the monthly gross amount of income. Determining the amount of assets the claimant may keep, on the other hand, is not as clear cut and is decided by an adjudicator case-by-case. The claimant can have enough resources to sufficiently live out their life expectancy. The home and vehicle are not a countable resource.

For Periods of Conflict and Reimbursement Rates, please visit the official VA website by clicking here.

Talk With Us

Talk to one of our WholeCare team members at (615) 235-0517 or fill out
our quick contact form to get started on your custom care plan.