Here are a few tips to keep in mind.
• Be careful not to cross-contaminate. Separate raw meat, poultry, and seafood from other foods in your grocery cart and shopping bags to avoid leaking onto other foods, especially fruits and vegetables.
• Don’t purchase damaged or bruised fruits and vegetables or produce that has been cut but not stored in a refrigerated space.
• Store eggs in their original carton and refrigerate as soon as possible.
• Keep your cooking, cutting, and counter surfaces clean.
• Cook food to a proper temperature to avoid airborne diseases.
• Pay attention to expiration, “sell by” and “best used by” dates.